Stephanie Overby reports for CIO on what key factors will help build a healthy long-term relationship with your IT service provider – a relationship that can grow and continue to balance innovation, technology and performance in an ever-changing environment. Experts recommend organizations get a good handle on the following:
- Scope and Scale. Organizations should not predetermine the exact scope and scale instead a full discussion on the pros and cons with stakeholders along with getting active and early feedback from the service provider can help create a well-defined project.
- Service Levels. IT leaders should understand not only their own motivations and costs around service levels but also the provider’s.
- The Value of a Healthy Relationship. Keeping the relationship transparent with clear communication will benefit not only the day-to-day dealings but also the overall costs. One expert suggests a clear governance model, documented processes and a demonstrated commitment to working together to set the right tone.
- Global Delivery Models. The larger array of global options should be discussed and the internal assumptions and/or concerns explored.
- Process Improvement. Outsourcing is not just about saving on labor costs. It can also bring process efficiencies.