Chris Gillar of IBM Big Data writes, “when you choose analytics solutions, you’ll likely have many diverse needs, all of which either need to be addressed now or will someday need to be addressed. Moreover, because even a single platform can offer considerable variety, getting the variety you need all at once has never been simpler. But you must also take care that the variety offered is the right variety.”
In a recent article he discusses the importance of choice in your big data analytics solution. He identified five common needs and points out businesses will accommodate these needs in different ways which calls for a platform that offers variety and choice. Here are the common capability needs:
- Support of a Hadoop-based solution. With open source frameworks becoming more popular there are also certain capabilities that your company may or may not have that need to be there. Mr. Gillar highlights the need for strong SQL on Hadoop and full integration and support for R, text analytics and more
- Support business intelligence and performance management whether on-premise, cloud or hybrid
- Support predictive and prescriptive analytics. Mr. Gillar writes, “But you must look for capabilities such as the ability to perform analytics regardless of whether data is at rest or in motion, as well as the ability to automate data preparation. These two features in particular simplify analytics and make it inclusive”
- Support of real-time analysis and solution development. Data is moving fast and your company needs to be able to analyze and react to it. Your big data solution should offer a variety of capabilities so you can choose what makes most sense for your company
- Support business users. Your solution must not only be powerful behind-the-scenes but it must also be usable by non technical employees across the organization
Seeking out a big analytics solution that brings you variety and choice will better allow you to meet your company’s needs now and in the future.